The Chapel served as a meeting hall for the
Roycrofters. It housed an art collection which
created a gallery-like effect as background for
display of the Roycroft merchandise offered for
sale. Today the Chapel, in addition to serving
as the Aurora Town Museum, also houses the Town Hall.
All town government functions now originate at this
location and that portion of the building is open form
9:00 to 5:00 daily. The Aurora Town Museum,
on the first floor, is open regularly during the
summer and on Wednesday afternoons all year. The
museum is maintained by the Aurora Historical
Roycroft Print Shop
Hubbard always looked upon books as the main industry
even after the Campus had grown. His own
writings, especially his "Message to
Garcia," attracted much attention to the work of
the Roycroft printers housed here. Once the most
modern print shop in the area, it employed over two
hundred workers by 1905. Shipping and general
administration were carried on here as
the Cornell Cooperative Extension utilizes the space
for offices and educational programs.
Fortunately, most of the fine woodwork and
Roycroft Foundation has offices here. They
sponsor tours, Elderhostel, and Arts & Crafts
symposiums. Kitty Turgeon: 716-652-3333
Blacksmith | Copper Shop
The Blacksmith Shop was expanded to include the
handcrafting of copper under the direction of Karl
Kipp and Walter Jennings. For several years the
front room served as Elbert Hubbard's Roycroft
Bank. The building was converted to show and
sales room in the 1920s.
Roycroft Shops, Inc. have occupied this
building since 1976 featuring Roycroft Renaissance
Artisans. The shops specialize in fine gifts,
Arts & Crafts (A/C) style antiques and
reproductions, furniture, lighting and
accessories. They have new A/C and original
Roycroft books as well as the 2/R art gallery. A
museum collection of original Roycroft is on display.
Kitty Turgeon : 716-655-0571; Fax 716/655-0562; E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open 7 days.
| Shipping Building
The large cinder-block building behind the copper shop
was built as a warehouse and shipping addition and was
originally connected to the furniture shop.
Later the attached garages were built and used to
house the many Roycroft vehicles.
Furniture, Leather and Book Bindery
Arts & Crafts era furniture was once built here of
necessity to furnish rooms for the Inn, offices, and
shops. Leather bookbinding later grew to produce
designs by the finest craftsmen of the day under the
direction of Louis Kinder and later Frederick Kranz
and George ScheideMantel.
building is now owned by Chester and Onda Dylewski.
Their shop, Roycroft Antiques, is on the
main floor and has been serving the community
since 1971. Open 7 days (716-655-1565.
This large rambling building is home to several other
Potters - Established in 1973, the pottery remains
the only working studio on the campus today. Janice
McDuffie, Master Roycroft Renaissance Artisan.
Mon - Sat 10-5 716-652-7422
Cupboards - a co-operative featureing Arts &
Crafts reference books, Roycroft books and Catalogs,
hand-crafted Arts & Crafts style leather goods
amidst a fine variety of antiques. The Roycrofters
At-Large gift Shelf is here Open 7 days. 716-655-1565,
Susan Dylewski, mgr.
Art Shop- Unique top-floor art gallery featuring
original work by Western NY and Roycroft Renaissance
Artisans, including block print Master Artisan
Kathleen West. Shop also features fine
hand-crafted gifts. Tues- Sat 10-5 716-655-7171
Roycroft Power Plant
during its peak era, 1904-1915, the Roycroft became
nearly self-sufficient. Perhaps the most
progressive step in its technical development was this
building. The Roycrofters' own power underground to
all parts of the campus. The building had housed
some area business, but sadly burned down in the
winter of 1997.
Special Guest House
This building once attached to the Inn by the porch or
peristyle, provided the comfortable accommodations for
distinguished guests who visited the Campus and Elbert
Hubbards, the "Sage of East Aurora."
Presently owned by the Margaret L. Wendt
Foundation. Future as yet undetermined.
Stable & Laundry
a stable for the guest house, this block building
became the laundry for the Roycroft Inn, Circa 1905.
the Apian Way
tree-lined walkway between the parking lots.] A
delightful way to get from the west side of the street
to the Roycroft Inn on the east side is to 'walk the
Apian Way.' Elbert Hubbard named it so because
of its importance in connecting the Inn with the
After undergoing an
eight million dollar restoration, the Roycroft Inn,
pinnacle of Elbert Hubbard's Roycroft Campus,
re-opened in June of 1995. The building that
began as the Roycroft Print Shop in 1897 expanded
along with Hubbard's other businesses, and eventually
became a meeting place for some of the most notable
personalities of the Arts and Crafts Movement.
The inn is now a fully functioning hotel, boasting 22
suites that offer a perfect blend of historical
authenticity and modern luxury, as well as fine dining
for lunch, dinner and banquets. Thanks to the
support of the Margaret L. Wendt Foundation, the
Roycroft Inn has been returned to its original stately
grace, with an excellent collection of original and
reproduction pieces that compliment the meticulously
restored building 716-652-5552.